- 2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 2 cups milk, plus more as needed
- 1½ Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup polenta
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅛ cup parmesan cheese
- 8 fresh chives (for garnish)
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon
- ⅛ cup of BBQ sauce
- ½ tsp. bourbon
- 1½ lbs. dry sea scallops
- 2 Tbsp. of the bacon grease
- Salt and pepper to taste
Part One: Prepare the Polenta
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk and butter to a boil.
- Add two teaspoons of salt to the water and whisk in the polenta.
- Whisk constantly for three to four minutes to prevent lumps.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, partially covered and stirring every 10 minutes, until the polenta is thick, smooth and creamy.
- Add the cream and parmesan.
- Check for seasoning and adjust consistency by adding milk or water to the polenta.
- Polenta may be made up to 20 minutes ahead of time and kept covered until ready to serve.
Part Two: Cook the Bacon
- Cook bacon in sauté pan until crisp, remove from pan and place on paper towel to remove excess grease.
- Reserve some of the grease for the cooking of the scallops.
Part Three: Sauté the Scallops
- Lightly season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat the bacon grease in a sauté pan. When the grease is at the smoking point, add the scallops sear for about one to two minutes per side. The scallop should have a golden color on each side.
Part Four: Plate the Dish
- Place polenta in the middle of the plate.
- Place the scallops in the middle of the polenta.
- Top the scallops with the sauce.
- Place the bacon on the side of the scallops and garnish with the chives.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe courtesy of the chefs at the University of New Hampshire as part of our Farm to Campus Recipe Series