- 5 lbs. local butternut squash, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 6 apples
- ½ lb. butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 oz. cognac (optional)
- 3 12" tart shells
- 4 ½ oz. shaved parmesan
1. Peel and rough chop squash. Toss with oil and roast in the oven until soft.
2. Puree with ¼ pound of butter and two tablespoons of sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Peel and cut apples (about 24 wedges per apple). Caramelize apples in butter. Deglaze with Cognac. Cool
4. Spread butternut mixture into baked tart shells.
5. Arrange apples (about 48 slices in each tart). Top with shaved parmesan.
6. Bake for five minutes at 450 degrees F to brown lightly. Let cool. Serve room temperature.
Yield: three 12" tarts
Recipe courtesy of the chefs at Boston University as part of our Farm to Campus Recipe Series