- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. water
- 10 ½ oz. granulated sugar
- 7 oz. soy margarine (we like Willow Run brand)
- 7 oz. shortening
- 3 ½ oz. pastry flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
1. Combine water and sugar in a pan and bring to a boil to dissolve sugar and make a simple syrup. Cool.
2. Beat the shortening, margarine and pastry flour together until light and fluffy, scraping down often. Slowly add the simple syrup and vanilla extract. Beat until fluffy.
3. Use to frost a cake, such as a vegan blueberry quinoa cake.
Recipe courtesy of the chefs at Bates College in Maine as part of our Farm to Campus Recipe Series